Tone Deaf on Lung Cancer

I have been involved in cancer research and advocacy for many years. I try to never disparage any cancer advocacy groups that raise money to fund research and other programs to help cancer patients and their families. We're all in this together. However, the American Cancer Society (ACS) came out with a recent survey asking "What cancer issues do you care about most? I was so disappointed that lung cancer was not even mentioned as an issue! Here is the survey:




My lung cancer diagnosis was in 1998, and I had a positive outcome - no spread to lymph nodes, no chemotherapy - and my lobectomy was difficult but a small price to pay. And I have lived a life of gratitude ever since, so I don't enjoy being critical of cancer organizations that have a role to play. I just get tired of the stigma attached to lung cancer as a smokers disease and when the ACS put out this survey, it totally played right into the stigma. According to the ACS's own statistics, nearly 160,000 Americans die from lung cancer each year - by far the leading cancer killer. And up to 20% of those never smoked - again according to the ACS! That means up to over 30,000 non-smokers die of lung cancer. Wow.

How then is it possible for the ACS to put out a survey asking about what cancer issues we care about and not even have lung cancer as one of the issues??? The survey includes breast cancer and colorectal cancer among others. But the questions mentioned in the survey that are related to lung cancer in their view are "Global tobacco issues" and "Smoke-free restaurants and workplaces" and "Tax on tobacco products." Doesn't this play into the stigma of lung cancer being a "smokers disease?" This is not acceptable.  More Americans die from lung cancer than breast, colorectal and prostate cancer combined! So yes, lung cancer is an issue I care about - but the ACS apparently doesn't think it ranks among the 13 issues of importance in their survey. Give me a break.

There is a lot of chatter on social media right now about this. We as a community are not happy. I haven't seen any logical response from the ACS to date. Frankly, I'm getting tired of feeling like I'm shouting into the wind about this. When will large organizations like the American Cancer Society realize that they are responsible for continuing to promote the stigma about lung cancer as a smoking issue. Anyone with lungs can get lung cancer. It's time to end the stigma, and time for the ACS to start acting responsibly.


Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Community: The White Ribbon Project

Online Cancer Communities and Serendipity

Meet Ellen Skala: Super Advocate